Though Inner City - Inner Child (ICIC) has been around for 22 years we have never existed in the 'blogosphere' so here we go......
Who are we?
ICIC is the education program of Dumbarton Concerts with a 2 decade+ history of providing services to the early childhood development programs that serve low income families in DC.
What do we believe?
- A high quality early childhood education leads to later success in school and life.
- Using the Arts to teach math and literacy makes children love learning.
- Crucial social-emotional skills are best taught through the Arts.
What do we do?
ICIC improves the academic and social emotional skills of low income preschool children in Washington DC by providing comprehensive professional development to their educators, classroom residencies and books to the children.
How do we do it?
- “Dancing With Books” –10-week classroom residency for students and teachers
- “Naptime U.”- professional development workshops for teachers and administrators
- “Read With Me” – literacy trainings for families
- “Read for Life” – book donation program
What is our vision for the future?
Every child in Washington DC will have access to a quality early childhood education.
Are we successful?
See for yourself... These are the outcomes from our last "Dancing With Books" residency. Preschool children improved in every category:
% of students that meet grade level Pre & Post "Dancing With Book"
Watch this video to learn more about Inner City – Inner Child: